Foundation trustees have many responsibilities, but fulfilling their legal duties probably tops the list. As such, it’s important that you know the rules and where trustees trip up most. Beyond the law, there are many things foundations can do, such as having a clear mission statement and healthy decision-making process, to help trustees stay out of trouble.
Here are five strategies for keeping your trustees on the right track.
- Develop a cohesive and compelling purpose for the foundation
- Expect great things from your board members
- Make sure trustees know and follow all state and federal private foundation rules
- Put policies and processes in place to help trustees always choose the high road
- Engage competent outsiders in your effort to strengthen and educate trustees
Read the full article about foundation trustees at Exponent Philanthropy.