Giving Compass’ Take:
• Karl Reid, writing for The Hechinger Report, suggests that STEM fields are still not inclusive and recommends four ideas to increase diversity in engineering.
• One of the recommendations Reid discusses is providing ongoing support for students of color in STEM programs. Are there programs that already help students in this way? Why is it critical to offer guidance well into students’ college and career paths?
• Read the Giving Compass Guide on how to support STEM education.
Today’s engineering field does not reflect the diversity that we know brings the best outcomes.
Black men and women are significantly underrepresented in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Black men receive under 9 percent of STEM bachelor’s degrees, according to the National Center for Educational Statistics. Black women receive just 1 percent of engineering degrees.
According to a 2018 study from the Center for American Progress, “if Black and Hispanic bachelor’s degree recipients were as likely to major in engineering as white students, this country would have produced 20,000 more engineers from 2013 through 2015.”
Here are four things we can do to turn this tide and create a more inclusive and diverse population of engineers:
- We must create an inclusive culture.
- We need to provide opportunities for young students to experience STEM.
- We must provide ongoing support for students of color through college and career.
- We must improve financial-aid programs and policies, both at the federal and state levels.
Read the full article about diversity in engineering programs by Karl Reid at The Hechinger Report
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Race and Ethnicity take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Race and Ethnicity, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Race and Ethnicity, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.