Giving Compass’ Take:
• By planning your giving throughout the year you can maximize your impact on the cause or causes closest to your heart.
• How much do you know about the causes and charities you support? Is charity part of your monthly budget?
16% of organizations say they receive more than half of their total contributions for the year between the months of October and December. And 11% of online charitable donations will be made in just the three final days of the year. But this need not be the case. Donors can take control of their giving by making donations throughout the year.
Committing to spreading your giving efforts throughout the year allows you the following benefits:
- Better Budgeting: By not waiting until the end of the year, donors can take time to budget their charitable donations.
- Time To Select Causes: While it’s certainly possible to know this at the end of the year, it doesn’t hurt to give yourself more time to decide on what matters most to you.
- Time To Select Charities: Many organizations work toward the same issues, but not all have the same focus, values, performance or trustworthiness.
- Don’t Confine Your Choice To Only Charities That Ask: With a little research, you might connect with local or national groups that inspire your generosity in new ways.
- Consider More Than A Passionate Story: It’s valuable to look beyond the story in a fundraising appeal to see what specific activities the charity has identified to help address the problems it describes.
Read the full article on things to think about before you donate by H. Art Taylor at Forbes
Since you are interested in Philanthropy, have you read these selections from Giving Compass related to impact giving and Philanthropy?
Looking for a way to get involved?
Learning with others and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Philanthropy, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities to connect with individuals like you.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Philanthropy, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.