Giving Compass’ Take:
• Shweta Roy at The Borgen Project discusses the top five critical global issues including biosecurity, destruction of nature, and social hostility, that need to be addressed now in order to achieve overall peace and security in the world.
• Even as the coronavirus pandemic dominates the news cycle, these issues still need attention.
• Read and learn more about the top global threats.
Global issues can be defined as any social, economic, political and environmental issues that affect the world in a catastrophic way. Living in the current world certainly has its uncertainties and challenges. There are numerous critical global issues that need immediate attention. Although progress toward solving them is being made, it is rather slow.
Here are 5 critical global issues:
- Biosecurity: Biosecurity refers to the measures taken to reduce the spread or introduction of infectious diseases in animals, plants and human beings.
- Promoting Effective Altruism: Effective altruism can be described as various ways to benefit others as much as possible using one’s own resources.
- Social Hostility: Social hostility can also be referred to as conflicts or wars caused due to intolerance and discrimination against others’ beliefs.
- Destruction of Nature: Humans’ destruction of nature is taking a major toll on the world.
- Children’s Lives: In a report from 2017, UNICEF claims that child mortality has dropped from 12.6 million in 1990 to 5.6 million in 2016. This is a positive change but the number of deaths is still extremely significant; 15,000 children die every day.
Read the full article about critical global issues by Shweta Roy at The Borgen Project.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Youth Development, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Youth Development.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Effective Altruism, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Effective Altruism, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.