What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
· The authors take a look at how far we have come towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in 2019 with a focus on the "5 P's" (people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnerships) and what we need to do in the Decade of Delivery.
· How can countries work together to boost efforts to achieve the SDGs? What types of complex solutions are required to meet each goal?
· Read more about the SDGs and the Decade of Delivery.
Problems get a lot of news coverage, but just as deserving of attention are the plans to fix them. In 2015, the world came together around an ambitious vision for a safer, healthier, and more prosperous world by 2030. That agenda, articulated across 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), was designed intentionally to represent a new approach to development – threading together economic, social, and environmental dimensions, while acknowledging that decisions and approaches are related and have both synergies and trade-offs.
Now the agenda is four years in, and this September, world leaders will come together for the first time since the goals were adopted to discuss what progress is being made and what more is needed. The meeting in September will be informed by the annual High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) in July, where six specific goals will be under review:
- Goal 4: Ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education
- Goal 8: Promoting sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth, including decent work for all
- Goal 10: Reducing inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13: Taking urgent action to combat climate change
- Goal 16: Promoting peaceful, just, and inclusive societies
- Goal 17: Advancing global partnerships to tackle the goals together
So how are we doing on the SDGs?
Read the full article about the Sustainable Development Goals by Kaysie Brown and Krista Rasmussen at the United Nations Foundation.