Giving Compass’ Take:
• Jennifer Powers, writing for Medium, suggests some ways for first-time volunteers to get involved in their communities.
• What are other ways to participate in community volunteering? How can companies encourage their employees to engage in local community projects?
• Read about how volunteering can advance your career.
Becoming involved in the local community by doing some regular volunteer work is a great way to boost self-esteem and meet new people. Individuals who are looking to give back to their neighbors will find plenty of options available to them. Here are some of the most popular ones for first-time volunteer.
- Try Tutoring – People who have strong skills in science, math, or languages might want to help kids who are having trouble with certain subjects.
- Meals for the Less Fortunate – Working at a local soup kitchen never goes out of style. Men and women who have any kind of culinary skills at all will be welcomed with open arms.
- Get Involved with Youth Sports – Local baseball, softball, and soccer teams are always looking for coaches to help teach the kids the basics of the game.
Whether people ultimately want to do arts and crafts with seniors or take shelter dogs for a jaunt around the local park, opportunities abound. Most volunteers find that getting involved in the community gives them a sense of satisfaction that is difficult to come by anywhere else.
Read the full article about volunteering by Jennifer Powers at Medium
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Volunteering, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Volunteering.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Volunteering, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Volunteering.