Giving Compass’ Take:
• At SVCF, experts discuss how COVID-19 has exacerbated existing inequities for Black children in education, who have faced systemic roadblocks to success for centuries.
• How do Black children experience disproportionate effects from the move to remote learning? How can donors work to dismantle the U.S. education system of its inherently racist structures?
SVCF has created the Silicon Valley Community Advisory Council to engage leaders of color as we strive to implement strategies and policies to address the nation’s systemic disparities. In this episode, Debra Watkins, Founder, President and Executive Director of A Black Education Network and member of SVCF Community Advisory Council, and Dr. Darlene Willis, Co-Founder and Executive Director of the Concerned Parents Alliance and College Bound Programs join SVCF’s Mauricio Palma, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships, in a critical conversation about race equity in the education system. The three community leaders discuss how cultural disparities, along with the COVID-19 crisis, affect Black children in our country.
In an examination of the issues that have kept Black children from thriving in current education models Debra and Darlene share how they have spent many years creating solutions. They also discuss how COVID-19 has magnified existing inequities. Listen to the episode to learn solutions for a more equitable post-COVID world.
What you will learn:
- The origin of Debra’s and Darlene’s passion for education and tackling issues facing black children
- How the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted education, and particularly Black children
- Guidance for schools and educators to help move from crisis to recovery
- Moving beyond recovery: solutions for a more equitable education system
Listen to the full podcast about Black children in education at Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
Race and Ethnicity is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Advocacy and Policy is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Advocacy and Policy.
Are you ready to give?
If you are interested in Advocacy and Policy, please see these relevant Issue Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects where you can get involved.