Giving Compass' Take:
- Chase DiBenedetto highlights five interactive tools that can be used to determine the rights, restrictions, and barriers to abortion access in each state.
- Together, these tools paint a grim picture for people who need abortion access in many states. How can you use these tools to guide your funding priorities?
- Read about why donors need to fund grassroots organizing for reproductive rights.
What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
In a terrible blow to reproductive care access and bodily autonomy for all Americans, the U.S. Supreme Court has overruled the right to abortion outlined in the historic 1973 Roe v. Wade decision.
Reproductive rights organizations, legal institutions, and news organizations have created numerous resources to help guide people through the new restrictions, including many interactive maps and infographics about nationwide policies and access. Scroll on for additional state-specific resources about abortion access and legislation.
- Lay of the Land: Abortion Policies and Access in the United States: The clickable map includes a drop down menu that includes additional information to travel estimates, including a level indicating how restrictive each state's laws are, state-specific demographics, and abortion statistics.
- What Abortion Looks Like in Every State — Right Now: The 19th's interactive map documents current restrictions on abortion, how people can access abortion care, and any other requirements adult patients might encounter during the process.
- Crisis Pregnancy Center Map: The Crisis Pregnancy Center Map was designed to provide information to those seeking abortion care about crisis pregnancy centers or "fake women's health centers" — these centers actively try to prevent pregnant people from getting abortions and often do not follow medical standards for reproductive care.
- What if Roe Fell?: The Center for Reproductive Rights, a global legal advocacy group dedicated to advancing reproductive rights, maintains a map of current state-specific abortion legislation, updated in real time and organized by the level of legal severity, from bans to protections.
- Find Your Local Clinic & Funds: The interactive Google Map overlay includes Planned Parenthood health centers, independent abortion clinics, as well as abortion funds, sourced from the nonprofits Abortion Care Network and the National Abortion Federation.
Read the full article about abortion access by Chase DiBenedetto at Mashable.