Giving Compass' Take:
- Save the Children explores the proven physical and mental health benefits of helping communities in need through donating clothes, time and money.
- Are you giving the right amount of your time and money? Are your time and money going to the places where they can do the most good?
- Learn more about volunteering.
What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Studies show that giving has added health benefits for the giver. Moreover, there are a variety of ways that those who give charitable donations can reap added (and surprising) health benefits while helping those in need.
Whether we are offering emotional support for loved ones, volunteering our time to assist an organization, or donating money to charity, there are more ways to enjoy the health benefits of giving than simply shopping for the perfect gift. Giving to a charity may also help boost your physical health and mental well-being including:
- Improved Self-Esteem and Self-Worth
- Positive Moods and Low Depression Rates
- Longer Life Expectancy
- Improving the World Community
The gift of giving always comes full circle. Giving is receiving and generosity is contagious. So, the next time you’re thinking about treating yourself, instead remember the positive benefits on your health that donating to charity can bring about, as well as the positive change you can help bring about around the world.
Read the full article about the health benefits of donating to charity from Save the Children.